Hundreds of thousands of runners take part in various races around Disney’s theme park properties every year, making runDisney one of the most popular avenues for competitors in the world. There is already a huge community of running enthusiasts – add in Disney to the equation and you can understand what the draw is for people to want to run one of these races. We have just learned that one series of races in 2017 will be entirely themed around Pixar’s films. Find more details after the break.
Part of the fun is that each runDisney race has a Disney theme, which encourages participants to dress up in outfits inspired by characters from the wide assortment of films from the company. Some series of races celebrate classic Disney characters (Mickey, Goofy, etc.), Disney Princesses, and Star Wars characters. Now, the Disney Parks Blog has announced that the races taking place during the 2017 Half-Marathon Weekend at Disneyland will be themed specifically to Pixar.
Running from Thursday, August 31 through Sunday, September 3, there will be five events, according to the Disney blog:
- Adventure is out there at this year’s Kids Races featuring “Up!” (Sept. 2nd)
- Mr. & Mrs. Incredible are ready for the run. The Disneyland 5K theme is “The Incredibles” (Sept. 1st)
- Mike and Sulley host 6.2 miles of scares at the Disneyland 10K featuring “Monsters University” (Sept. 2nd)
- Race to infinity and beyond with the pals of “Toy Story” at the Disneyland Half (Sept. 3rd)
- Disneyland Double Dare: Celebrating Pixar Animation Studios (Sept. 2nd & 3rd)
Another amazing part of the races? Those who participate and complete an event earn a gorgeous medal designed specifically with the race’s theme in mind. Medals for the Pixar events have not yet been announced (they’re usually revealed closer to the races), though here’s a sampling of medals from a series of earlier races at Walt Disney World:
These races are insanely popular. If you are interested in learning how you can register and what you would need to do in order to participate, head over to runDisney’s official site stat.