In October last year, Pixar unveiled its first-ever television special, Toy Story OF TERROR! There was little doubt that it would be successful, given the power of the Pixar and Toy Story brands – over 10 million people tuned in to watch it, not counting re-airings on other networks. As we await the next TV special, Disney has announced that Toy Story OF TERROR!, which was directed by Pixar veteran Angus MacLane, is arriving on Blu-ray, DVD, and digital download this summer. After the break, find more details about the special features and everything else that will be included!
Although Disney and Pixar have usually waited patiently to package a large number of shorts into a release (Pixar Shorts Vol. 1 and 2), the longer length of the special, along with the ability to include the Toy Story Toons that had been released in theaters in the past three years, has paved the way for the Toy Story OF TERROR! set, which is really a ‘Toy Story special and shorts’ collection. There are a number of special features that will be included on both the Blu-ray and DVD, including audio commentaries, “vintage” toy commercials (that feature intros by the editor), a behind-the-scenes look at the special, and a special “scary” teaser that was created exclusively to promote Toy Story OF TERROR! at the D23 Expo last summer.. Exclusive to the Blu-ray will be three deleted scenes (that feature intros by the director).
The Blu-ray will have the largest collection of special features, although Disney Movies Anywhere will release an exclusive deleted scene and a short feature examining the film references involving character Mr. Pricklepants.
Below is a full breakdown of what features will be available where:
- Toy Story OF TERROR! (22:00)
- “Toy Story Toons” Shorts: Hawaiian Vacation (5:50), Small Fry (7:07), Partysaurus Rex (6:31)
- Audio Commentaries: Toy Story OF TERROR!, Hawaiian Vacation, Small Fry, and Partysaurus Rex
- Team of Specialists – Director Angus MacLane goes deep behind the scenes to introduce the team of specialists required to make Toy Story OF TERROR!
- 3 Deleted Scenes + Editor Introductions – Pencil Topper Trilogy, Travel Brochure, Road Trip Roulette
- Vintage Toy Commercials + Director Introductions – Old Timer, Combat Carl, Transitron
- D23 Teaser
- Everything above except for the 3 Deleted Scenes + Editor Introductions
Disney Movies Anywhere:
- Feature on Mr. Pricklepants and film references
- Deleted Scene + Editor’s Introduction – ‘Bob’s Boatyard’ (2:00)
UPDATE (5/19): Disney has released a trailer for the release, which includes our first look at some of the unique special features we can expect:
Pixar continues to set the bar high for Blu-ray and DVD sets, as the studio’s home video department ensures that there are a wide collection of special features to accompany the films. Owning the actual features is great for our collections, but having the opportunity to learn more about the production process is what raises these releases to must-own status.
The Toy Story OF TERROR Blu-ray, DVD, and digital download are scheduled for release on August 19th!